Theme 5 of the Social Value Model addresses two government policy outcomes: improving health and wellbeing; and improving community integration. As part of our commitment, we invest in the mental and physical health of our consultants and nurses, regularly gather feedback from staff and patients to develop the service and strive to make Medinet inclusive and accessible for everyone.
- Our teams’ most common views about how we ensure our delivery positively contributes to the Social Value Model include:
- Being part of strong teams with a common aim
- Always having support available
- Being surrounded by experienced, expert, and competent staff
- A sense of responsibility and authority
- Being supported in their education and development
- Learning from other trusts and colleagues
- Feeling empowered to make changes
- Inclusivity, feeling part of a team
- Strong clinical governance team
- Arrangement of Travel and accommodation
- Having a choice in assignments
The mental and physical health of staff has a knock-on effect on patient care. Perioperative clinicians are at particular risk of burnout which can impact their personal lives and impair quality of care. Work-life balance, support, and provision of travel and accommodation can all reduce the likelihood of burnout, optimise patient care, and reduce the chance of mistakes.
Positive staff engagement has also been linked to improved patient experience and outcomes. The BMJ published an opinion piece in 2018 outlining that for frontline staff, what makes them feel most connected and engaged is relationships with their immediate team and a sense that they make a difference to patient outcomes. We actively develop connections with our clinicians, to share and reflect with them on the emotional and existential aspects of working for Medinet. Improving how our professionals feel about their work and promoting a healthy work-life-balance ties into our goal of reducing NHS waiting lists.
We feel strongly about looking after our skilled professionals so that our patients receive the best possible care, now and in the future. Together we can end the wait.
You can hear what our specialists have to say about being part of Medinet here.